Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Well, This Is It!

Hey everybody. Thanks for all the kind words about the blog. Wow, this has been some week. So many goodbyes. And as I am a person who has moved a lot, I know the truth is that it is highly unlikely I shall ever return. And the truth is I have spent this week in an emotional coma. Most of the time I couldn't feel anything. I was just numb. I've had a few tears, but they haven't lasted long. I had a Farewell party with Skyland last night. I said goodbye to Hiroyo on Wednesday (she cried). I've been given so many gifts by my students I would need an extra suitcase to fit them all in if I was keeping them all. One of the moms cried yesterday after class. She just kept saying how her son, Jidai, had known me his whole life. Tomorrow the girls from Sony are coming to pick me up to take me to the bus station. And them when I get off the bus I shall be met by Yuma, Yoko and Mikio Suzuki, Yoko's mother Miyoshi, and Miyoshi's boyfriend a.k.a. Puppy. They will have taken an earlier bus (why they aren't driving is beyond me). They are making a day of it to visit the airport. This is not uncommon. Many Japanese head to the airport as a destination in itself and have a spot of dinner. Go figure. But tonight was the biggest goodbyes. After saying goodbye to my last class (which was very difficult) I headed to Foo-Rin for another Going Away Party. Junko, Toshi, Hiromi, Kayo, The Suzukis and O'Goody came for a private party. We laughed and shared our favorite memories. And all to quickly it came to an end. They attempted to start suggesting we do something else after the dinner. And we almost went bowling (even though O'Goody has a broken arm and Mikio has a broken finger), but some of the others nixed the idea. And I decided it was best just to say goodbye. So we took some quick photos, the Foo-Rin folks gave me a t-shirt, we made some jokes and hugged with tears in our eyes. And then I got on my bicycle and rode off into the night. Goodbye.