Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Out With a Whimper


A couple of weeks ago, while I was still really sick, we had the last Skyland class. Those classes have been a lot of fun at varying times, and I really like the students tremendously. So I was pretty hurt when I found out the classes were coming to an end. And of course, I don't really know why. Mr. M. gives me only the most basic information..."last Skyland class next week". That's it. No softening me up, no polite explanations (true or excuses), just "it's over". I know that profits are down there. And I think the novelty factor has worn off. And the fact that Mr. M. and the client agree on a course structure without ever asking the teacher (me). And they rarely pick the right book for the class. But of course that's all the logical part of me. Then there is the irrational/emotional/insecure part of me that blames it all on me and myself. Of course, it's probably a little of all of that. So the last class came and went with little fanfare. Actually, everybody seemed a little uncomfortable, and we all just plunged right ahead. 10 minutes before the class ended they brought out a cake and they gave me a little goodbye gift. It's a harmonica key chain/keitai charm (I pictured it next to an ichi yen coin, about the size of a dime, to give it some perspective). It appears to be a quality instrument, even if it is tiny. It's very cute. And then we said goodbye, and I walked away. The end.

3 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Shari said...

If your students liked you, there is no way that the end of the classes had anything to do with you.

My former company sold lots of the same types of classes as yours (on site lessons). Companies can adore the teacher and still stop buying a course of lessons. Sometimes it is all about having spent their entire education budget already. Sometimes it is a desire to do something different. More often than not, the company would rather make their employees do some work-related activity during the time you had the lesson.

The Japanese usually do not explain these things to the teachers. If you had been in any way the source of the non-renewal, you would have been told in some way.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

Well, some of your reasonings don't apply to this particular company, but I liked the end thought alot. Thanks.

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they will be sorry and regret it forever and ever. Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home