Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sleeping Figured Out

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to my Mumsy and saying that this winter seems much easier in Japan. Like the rest of the world this winter has been milder than the last one. But it's more than that. I got sleeping figured out now. "Uh...excuse me Miss, but anybody can sleep!" you say? Well, it wasn't quite so easy to sleep through the night when the temp hits freezing inside your apartment as well as out. Especially for a gal from warm climes who never lived without central heat before. My heater beeps every two hours to let you know that it's still on. And at three hours it turns itself off if you don't hit the damnable button. And you have to turn the heater off, if you want the timer to work. And I love the timer. So, it gets downright cold in here at night. I learned that cotton sheets on the futon were not good. Everytime you turn over you get shocked awake by their coldness. So I sleep between two fake fur like blankets. But that's not enough. I wear a t-shirt, under a long sleeved fleece mock turtleneck and sweatpants. The t-shirt must be tucked into the sweats, and the pantlegs of the sweats must be tucked into the socks. Or else cold shock will wake you again when turning over. Okay, that's nice for the parts below the neck, but what about the head? Yes, that's a problem. A regular pillow just won't do. Talk about cold shock when you turn over! If your face hasn't frozen to the pillow already. So far the thing that has worked the best is the shawl I bought in Mexico, wrapped around the pillow. But I think I finally have this sleeping thing all figured out. Think I'll go practice a bit more to make sure.

3 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger deenster said...

An electric blanket turned on low and placed under your sheet can make a huge difference. It's still a complete mystery to me, though, why central heating doesn't catch on here...

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep...I sympathize. I have the same bedtime ritual - tucking tops into sweatpants, pantlegs of sweatpants into socks...ha!ha!ha!Thot I was the only one who did this.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

There are a million and ten reasons that I miss Japan, but winter anything is not it! It was into the deep minus 20s here last week (I think the coldest day was -27 with windchill) and I still prefer this to Japanese winter when I could never ever get warm! I'm with Deenster about the electric blanket - it made my 2nd winter sooooooooo much better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home