Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Friday, December 22, 2006

Last Christmas, Arrrrrggghhh!

What do you think is the most popular Christmas song in Japan? Jingle Bells? Rudolph? White Christmas? Nope. You are wrong. It is "Last Christmas" by Wham. This is now the Christmas song I hate the most. The one Christmas song I used to despise the most used to be "Favorite Things" from the Musical I hate the most "Sound of Music". But after spending two Christmas seasons in Japan, Favorite Things has been usurped. I thought I was just imagining this obsession they have with "Last Christmas". But I wasn't. The last week the Nagoya English station has had a contest, and "Last Christmas" decimated the competition, which included "Do They Know It's Christmas?" and every Christmas song by Mariah Carey and by the Carpenters. All of which I have heard repeatedly over the last couple of weeks. But Wham is everywhere. It's getting creepy. Aaarrrgggh! I hope this is the Last Christmas I ever have to hear Last Christmas.

1 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

So true!! And you know, I didn't even know that song until I went to Japan, and the funny thing is, this year, even though I'm in Canada, I heard it on the radio about a week ago and it's been in my head ever since, so I may as well be back in bleepin' Japan again! But now, I kinda like it... Natsukashii, you know. :)

Anyhoo, Merry Christmas to you, Natalie. I hope it's a great one!

Sallie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home