Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Never Let Me Go


Book Review - I just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. He also wrote The Remains of the Day. This is definately not in the fun, entertainment category of fiction. This is literature. And as such took me awhile to get through it. It has an uneasy feel to the location and subject matter. The details of what is going on are only let out extremely slowly, to the point of being annoying. You only get a clear idea of the plot during the last third of the book. But Ishiguro is quite brilliant at providing that creepy/but very normal world that one can also find in books such as Farenheit 451 or 1984. But it most reminded my of "A Handmaid's Tale". There is no violence in the book, but a slow, unnerving process of events. But I was glad when it was over. Score - 6.

2 Comments:

At 3:01 AM, Blogger Minimalista Wannabe said...

Hi
I've enjoyed reading your blog lately. I came across it a few weekd ago. I am just in love with anything japanese at the moment. crazy huh?? i've been there 5 times, mainly Osaka and Kansai area. When i read your blog, i can just relate and have learned a lot. thanks. keep updating me and my own little world of japan.

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this too... it was creepy. Well written, but definitely not a "feel good" book. For me it was a "feel bad" book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home