Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Getting Luxembourg Out of My System


We had a night between Amsterdam and Brugge with no hotel reservation, so I begged to go to Luxembourg. It was completely out of the way, but I just had it in my head that I wanted to go to Luxembourg. I don't know why? Mark reluctantly agreed, just so I could get it out of my system. We rode on the train for about 5 hours, and it was a wonderful train ride. We went first class, and it was roomy and quiet. And the countryside was just too quaint. We didn't have much time to do anything after arriving, except take a pathetic little tour on this fake train. The system kept resetting itself randomly, so our earplugs would change from English to German with no warning. But what we saw was a treat. Luxembourg is an extremely wealthy country, with stately new buildings, built to match the stately old buildings nicely. The way it is settled on the landscape has ensured that there is lots of park land. It really is a jewel of a city. After walking around and just looking at the city we finally settled on eating at Chi-Chi's. Yes, the lousy American chain for Mexican food restaurants, only the menus include French and German translations. The food was sub-par, but hit the spot. Early the next morning we wandered around the city taking more pics in the sleepy Sunday sunshine and then had to catch an early train back North to our next destination. We both agreed that Luxembourg was more than worth the trouble, and turned out to be surprising treat.

2 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds and looks lovely. I might want to go there after all. Mum

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

I don't understand. You had decided Luxembourg was a place you didn't want to go? I can understand not wanting to go to Afganistan or Columbia, but what do you have against Luxembourg?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home