Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Yukia Saw Gay People!

My private student, Yukia, just got back from a trip to San Francisco. And the most exiciting part of the trip for her was to see gay people. She asked me if I knew any gay people. Well, I have lived in New Orleans, Seattle and Athens, GA. I know so many gay people I couldn't count them all. She said she had never seen any gay people before. I told her she probably had, you just can't tell them from regular people when you walk by them on the streets. The only reason she could spot the gay people in San Fran was because they held hands or kissed. The Japanese don't do that. This blew her mind, that there could be gay people everywhere and you wouldn't know it. Wow, this whole discussion blew my mind.

2 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, the GOLden Gate bridge didn't make as much of an impression as the gay people. Mum

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, fun observation.
Especially since the japanese have a long history of homosexuality from the samurai and the religious monastery past!
But yes, officially i can imagine that it might still be unrecognized in generel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home