Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

One, Two, Free, Whore

This term I have been teaching all my little darlings to count in English as we have finished up the alphabet. But as simple as that might sound and seeing as I focus on only one number each class, you would think it is going swimmingly. But it is amazing that already by two or three most of the children have already picked up the Japanese traits of confusing F and H, having trouble with "Th", changing V to B, adding a vowel to the word, etc. We are only to eight, but this is how they count

One
Two
Free
Whore
Fibe
Sex
Seben
H or Eighto

as you can see they only get the first two right, and from there it is a comedy of errors. Then there is Yuzuki, a new little 2 year old girl to my class who has an amazing ear and ability to parrot. She can repeat an entire sentence back to me, exactly as I have said it. She has no clue what I have said, but she smiles and smiles and gets it right. I'm actually enjoying the new numbers, I find it quite amusing. I'm a little dissappointed that it is so hard to mess up nine and ten, but we will see what the little tykes come up with.

2 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Blogger MomKori said...

Hello. I'm a Japanese mother of two and teach English to kids once a week at home. I understand how they pronounce those numbers and your spellings are so funny! I've played English CDs since my kids were born so they must be better at listening than other kids. My younger one can count up to 20 but always skips 15. So cute :)

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger - said...

I'm an English teacher in Japan too and I just taught my kids a lesson on ocean creatures. Go ahead, take a wild guess how they pronounce "seahorse".

Seawhore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home