Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My Favorite Word

I have a favorite word in Japanese and it's "Dame" (Dah-may sorta). It means bad, stop it. I use it all the time. You can use it with the kids when they are up to no good. But I use it in lots of situations. I use it when I am talking to myself even. When I do something stupid I say Dame. When the light turns red and I'm late for class I say Dame. When Mr. M. told me today that he has an appointment next Wednesday afternoon...and that means I have to do my copies in the morning...and that means I have to do my lesson planning on my day off...I said dame (to myself). It seems to be a polite cuss word for me. I can use it instead of damn. I can use it to show my displeasure, but in a "still in control" sort of tone. I use it way too much and need to look for another word, but until then beware of the dame.

1 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like dame too but my favourite Japanese word is YADA. I bet you hear lots of that, teaching kids. I do lots of internal yada-ing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home