Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Friday, January 27, 2006

War on the Word Maybe


This is a formal declaration of war. I am trying to stamp out the overuse of the word "Maybe". The Japanese like to use it to begin almost every sentence. Of course, I am talking about adults and not my wonderful children, who don't even know the word. But the adults use it all the time. They use it frequently when they mean to say "I think". Or, sometimes when they want to soften the blow, but the answer is "no". And even occasionally in the correct context of "It's possible, but...", yet "Maybe" sounds so childish. But they mainly use it to be noncommital. And this wishy-washyness is driving me crazy. I remember asking someone if the vegetable soup on the menu was vegetarian. And the answer I got after they read the ingredients was "Maybe it has ham in it." Well, does it or doesn't it? Let's find out! Isn't it right in front of you? Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh, harumph. So, now I am at war with the word maybe. It needs to reduce it's presence and return to it's own small territory and quit trying to conquer Japan. Do you hear me "Maybe"? Will I succeed in my quest? Maybe.

3 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your word war. Did you change your blog or is my new computer changing things or is it peoplepc screwing around with my life? Mum

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

If the blog looks different, then it must be on your side. Looks the same as always here. If you were having trouble logging on that would be blogger, they were down for maintenence yesterday.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

ARGH! I also HATE that word. However, I am ashamed to admit that it has surreptitiously slipped into my own vocabulary and I don't even notice myself using it sometimes. I will be a soldier in your war and make every effort to stop using it myself, at the very least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home