Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Monday, January 09, 2006

A Good Walk

Today was another rough day. Really rough. I made myself walk down to the far away grocery store to get out of the house. I'm glad I did. It was cold, but I wore the flannel shirt I stole from Mark. Today was one of the billion holidays that the Japanese have. I think the holiday is "Fathers Play Baseball with Their Sons in the Cold" day. It was wonderful to watch. Every park I passed was filled to the rims with fathers and sons. I walked the path along the river, which is always filled with old people walking their dogs. Thats always good. But I saw one cute little old man walking a very cute dog. The dog was carrying the pooper scooper spade in his mouth, chomping on the wooden handle like it was his very favorite toy. I couldn't help but laugh. And then almost as I got home I saw a lot of people standing around looking into the river. And then I saw why. There was a whole flock of swans swimming up and down the river. The ducks were chasing behind them like fans trying to keep up with celebrities. And it was kinda like finding celebrities at your usual grocery store. They were much to grand and glorious for our little river. But watching them glide around with the sun setting behind them was a touch of balm for my melancholy.

1 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

If anyone at work knows that you're low you will probably get a lot of *gambatte kudasai's* - I will fully support you if you tell them to go to hell. It sounds like you had a wonderful visit with Mark, and no doubt the adjustment to being apart again will be very difficult, but spring really will make you feel better. It's still a bit of time away, but when you experience a Japanese spring you will feel (if you're anything like me) that the miseries of winter were well worth it. (Or at least, almost.) I feel your pain though. If you want an escape to a different part of Japan you're welcome in my little village any time you'd like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home