Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Daruma and Me

During our visit to the Goshin Shrine on New Year's Day, the Suzukis bought Mark and I each a Daruma Doll. He's a symbol of good luck and protection in Japan, and is traditionally given to someone starting a new venture, celebrating a birthday, or at the beginning of a New Year. You paint one eye and make a wish. The other eye is painted when the goal is reached. So you have to make a wish that is somewhat attainable unless you plan to cart this guy with you for the rest of your life. That was just too much committment. My big wish would be to see the world before I die. I crave travel. How some women feel about babies, I feel about travel. I can't read armchair travel books because it's too painful. But, a more attainable wish would be to visit Thailand and Amsterdam this year. Do I paint half a pupil after I go to Thailand? Hmmm?

4 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not avery attractive looking gent so I don't think he could look much worse with half an eye. Mum

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

Hey, watch how you talk about my lucky god. He's making sure I go galavanting, so he is beautiful. He is very handsome and charming and very generous. Bad Mummy!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger deenster said...

I say you draw in his other pupil after you go to Thailand, and then make his mouth into a smile after you go to Amsterdam. :-)

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

I agree with Deenster. Give him the eye after Thailand and a happy face after Amsterdam!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home