Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Bitter Disappointment


My private students went to Arizona over the holidays. Before they left they asked me what my favorite cookies were. They wanted to pickup cookies as gifts for their friends and family. I had to think about it for awhile, but when I thought about it I do have a very favorite cookie. Mother's Iced Raisin Cookies. And Mother's is the brand name, not my Mom's. Sorry Mom but you ain't known for your cooking/baking prowess. You can only get Mother's on the West coast, so I haven't had them for many years now. These are not just some little raisin cookie with a thin smattering on the top for decoration. These decent sized cookies are dipped completely into a thick icing. Mmmmm. But I tried to think of something that would make better gifts. Something that would scream American Southwest. But nothing really came to mind. So when they came for their lesson yesterday I spotted a Mother's logo in Yukia's bag and got a wee bit excited. And low and behold I was presented with a batch of Mother's cookies. Mother's Macaroons. Macaroons? Macaroons? I don't want no stupid macaroons. But I smile and coo and make like I'm thrilled. It is a very nice gesture that they brought me cookies. But, oh, the disappointment. I don't think I can take it. Oh, this world is a cruel, cruel place.

The cookies I wanted:

5 Comments:

At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the excellence of my oatmeal cookies was known far and wide. How is the heater doing? Mum

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

The heater is iffy. Sometimes it comes right on, and other times it needs much threatening for it to do it's job.

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are dying for Mothers Cookies I'd do an exhange with you. I'll send a batch of cookies if you could send my kids' some Japanese comic books.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

Wendy,

That sounds like a fair trade, but I know nothing about Japanese Comic books. What are you looking for? Do you want them written in Japanese or English?

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Natalie,

In regards to the comic books, my kids are 10/8/4. The two older are boys and they love Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh so something along those lines. My 4 year old is a total girly girl so something along those lines as well. I was thinking something in hiragana to help me brush back up on my language skills. Even packs of trading cards for the boys instead of comic books would be great as well. Nothing too expensive even though I will totally pay for all shipping expenses.

What kind of cookies do you want? I have plenty of stores to shop at! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home