Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Thank You. What the Heck is It?


The community center handed out thank you gifts to the teachers today. It is very nice of them. It came with a form letter in Japanese. I'm guessing it says thanks, but for all I know it could say "foreigners have cooties, and they smell funny, too." But probably not. It's always nice to get presents. I have no idea what most of it is. Except the container of bath salts - that I recognize. It looks pretty, though. It's nice to be appreciated, even if you end up with mystery gifts.

5 Comments:

At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like radishes, fish sticks, baby food, and a canister of lemonaide. You know, the essentials. JMD

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lucky dog you, getting lots of stuff even if you don't what that stuff is. Mum

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

JMD,

Well, radishes might be right but they are either pickled or old and shriveled. The fish sticks look more like potato blocks. The lemonade is bath lemonade. And the baby food looks like fish flavored peanut butter. Why fish flavored? I don't know, just cuz everything in Japan is fish flavored.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the stuff with the baby on the package is miso, you drop a hunk of it in hot water and you have soup.

-natalie (p)

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

My friends explained the gifts to me the other night. I can't eat the miso as it uses fish stock, so I have given it away. I'll give the mochi a try next time I make Campbell's Vegetable Soup. And I'll just have to plop one of those shriveled fruits into my mouth, but that seems quite daunting. I'll keep you all posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home