Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Lordy, Lordy, I'm Friggin' Forty

It's my fortieth birthday. And it's been unexpectedly wonderful wonderful. I was expecting a few e-cards at most. But in my BabyKid classes I had them sing "Happy Birthday" to me. And then Rinako took me out for lunch and gave me a small present - hair accessories, which I really need since the wind started up and the static gets pretty horrific at times. Then when I went to Skyland tonight, we started the class as usual at 7:00 talking about our past weekends and future ones as well. About 20 minutes in I mentioned it was my birthday and thought they might sing to me. Boy was I wrong. The place broke into Defcon 1 and plans were made on the fly. 15 minutes later all 8 of us had been whisked off to the Act Tower by taxi. I thought we were going to a nearby bar. Once again I was wrong. We proceeded to the 30th floor to the very posh Paganini restaurant with a gorgeous view of the city. Shortly thereafter I was drinking Dom Perignon and blowing out the candles on a beautiful cake while the pianist played "Happy Birthday" on the Grand Piano, and the wait staff applauded with the the beautiful view of Hamamatsu at night as a backdrop. I was so touched I started to tear up when I was blowing out the candles. I was really quite speachless. So I said a simple, but heartfelt "Thank You." We continued to drink and eat and chat until 10:30. Then they sent me home with the aid of a daiko. This is kind of a tag-team designated drivers for hire. One of them drives you home, while the other follows to pickup the DD. I can't tell you how touched I was by the whole experience. It's just been very mindblowing. And fun. Damn, can I turn forty again next year?

3 Comments:

At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, happy birthday again (since today is the day where I am). I really think mothers should be given some kind of a celebration when their daughters turn 40 but glad to hear you had such a nice time. It was one to remember. Mum

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! So glad you had a good day :)

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

I'm also glad that your day was so lovely. Good for your class for taking you out and spoiling you a little! You deserve that. Nothing like an experience you will likely never repeat to make a special day just that much more memorable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home