Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Snot-Nosed Brats

I have seen more mucous in the last two weeks than in an alien film. Big huge globules dripping from toddlers noses, running down their chins, smeared on their sleeves, etc, etc. So another month, another illness. Yes, that's right. Yours truly is sick again. I've been in denial for the last few days, while still taking steps to combat it. All to no avail. Last night my throat and head hurt so bad I got only 3 hours sleep. And today, by the end of my fourth (and thank the god's, last) class I had tears in my eyes I was so tired and achy. Even though that last class was my bright-bulb 4 year olds class and everything we did was a huge hit with them. I'm told that the last two teachers spent their first year sick as me. I'm not sure that's much comfort. So after class I came home, cranked up the heater, got in bed with my heating pad, took a nap, woke, made a big dinner and now I'm blogging to you. Next stop, Sleepsville, if I'm lucky.

5 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better after a good nights sleep. Do you have to work tomorrow? FEY

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

Last year I was sick more often than I'd been in probably the previous 3 years combined. My theory is that it is new bugs that our bodies aren't accustomed to, plus the stress (whether we acknowledge it or not) of living in Japan. Plus the fact that Japanese people don't tend to stay home if they're sick, so (at least here) you spend a lot of time in an office full of coughing, sniffling people. (And I don't buy that those face covers they buy at Lawson's actually stop the germs from invading my space!) Poo on that work ethic thing!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

Yes, I had to work. As a matter of fact Saturdays are my hardest day. I have four classes, two private students and salsa class. I survived, but I'm not sure my voice will recover.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

Sallie,

I'm not so sure it is a work ethic, as it is an appearance ethic. It seems to me that it is more important that you look like you are working hard than actually getting anything done. I concur on foreign bugs, but I also think that working with toddlers only increases my chances of illness. I get sneezed on at least 5 times a day by these little guys. As adorable as they are they are breeding grounds for germs. Screw bird flu, I say we worry about toddler flu.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

Yeah, I thought about putting quotes around "work ethic" but didn't want to be rude. I totally concur on it being an appearance of being busy/working hard than being actual fact. Meh. Glad you're feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home