Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

My Amazing Track Jacket


When I bought this track jacket I had the salesgirl translate it for me. She said "Sweet Dumpling". Okay, that sounds good. Mainly it fit, was reasonalbly priced, would keep me warm and it looked good. But when I wear this jacket the Japanese women (and a few men) squeal and say "kawai" (cute) and point at it and tell everyone in the place about it. I am not exagerating. One time in the community center I had 6 women squealing over me. And today I had 4 women and a funny little old man just laughing and squealing over it. I'm not sure if it just having kanji on my clothing, or if it is this particular phrase that is so amazing. Obviously, being a blonde woman in Japan I'm use to attracting a bit of attention. I'm just not sure my ear drums can handle me wearing this jacket regularly.

P.S. Health update. Going to bed early, keeping the heater turned on and taking lots of vitamins seems to have helped. The fever, aches and pains are all gone. But so is my voice. I sound exactly like a soft spoken Elaine Stritch. If you don't know who that is...well, you are on the internet, look her up!

2 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie, Your shirt says Choco Daifuku. Daifuku is usually a rice cake stuffed with red-bean jam but yours seem to have chocolate inside. I've never seen a shirt saying Choco Daifuku before but I like it. Very Original! Chizuru

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

Chizuru,

Maybe my hair is covering it but it also says strawberry. Choco-Strawberry Daifuku is the way most people translate it. But I enjoy watching people squirm when I ask them what it says. Gotta find your fun where you can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home