Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Christmas is coming,....

A couple of weeks ago a flash of light outside my window caught my attention. I looked out and my jaw dropped. I cocked my head like a dog who has heard something strange. I blinked and rubbed my eyes. But it was true. I was looking at one of those lighted waving santas next to a blinking Christmas tree. In Georgia we have a neighbor who puts up a lawn full of these things. But looking over the Japanese houses packed next to each other, the local bar sign written in kanji, the corner vending machine filled with green tree and a couple of waiting taxis and the waving santa....well, you know you ain't in suburban Kansas anymore. I knew Japan had started latching onto Christmas with gusto, but I wasn't prepared for this. In America we have Thanksgiving that works as a nice speed bump. But they don't have that here. And it just seems so odd. Driving by Christmas ornaments next door to a buddhist temple is just so strange. It's a wild and crazy country.


3 Comments:

At 3:45 AM, Blogger Wallflower3 said...

If you go into your blog settings you can turn on " word verification" - and that will keep these mass spam comments out of your blog. It requires your readers to copy a computer generated word they see on the screen if they want to comment, ya know, so only live people can comment. I guess that includes me...
If you haven't seen it already, rent Love Actually - the movie. Great movie, great soundtrack, Hugh Grant, need I say more.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

Of course I saw Love Actually! I saw it in the theatre opening night. Hugh Grant was adorable as always.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

It's amazing, isn't it? There were Christmas things in stores probably November 1st. (I'm only assuming, but I was in the mall the first weekend in November and it was jammed with Christmas crap!!

As soon as I choose to confront my Hello Kitty problem, I will let you know. I'm sure I'll be needing support within the country to help me "kick the habit" - ha ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home