Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Happily Idiotic

I was gonna name this entry Maiming a Bush. Then I thought Don't Know My ABCs and Maiming a Bush. Then I thought Don't Know My ABCs, Senility and Maiming a Bush. Boy if I were smarter this would have been a bad day, but I'm happily stupid. I was late getting out of the apartment so I had to haul ass to the community center. It turns out that riding your bike can be faster than driving...you just need a good reason to peddal like crazy. Earlier this week, when I was teaching the 4 year olds, I was handing out the Y is for Yarn pages and realized I'm a bloomin' idiot. Last week we did V is for Vest. Excuse me Sensei Smartypants, what happened to W and X. Uuuuuuh, I forgot. So today was the other 4 year old class. As I sat started to get my lesson materials out of my Hot-Pink tote bag, I realized I didn't even bring the Y is for Yarn pages, or the Yarn Art project I had prepared. So there I am, scrambling around, trying to figure out what to do for an hour. I go to the front desk and ask if they have any coloring books I can copy pages out of? The lovely staff looks around everywhere for me but didn't find anything. I'm pretty sure they had no clue what I was asking for, so it was a pretty fruitless search. I remember I happen to have a cool Halloween writing sheet in my bag and get them to copy that for me. I'm not sure these kids have ever tried writing ABC's but today seems like a good day to try. I was also working on some other Halloween materials and get them to copy that, so the kids can color. I also had a beach ball that I was using in the babykids class earlier still blown up. So I pulled enough things out of my ass to fill an hour. Also in one of my favorite classes the babys were unusually cranky. They are usually dolls. And my very favorite student was yasumi (absent). Then on my way home on my bike I crashed. I had the basket so loaded down with lesson materials and Halloween Party supplies that the bike was pulling heavily to one side. I crashed right into a row of bushes. I did major damage to the bushes, but I only have a few scratches and bruises and a humiliated ego. But the day was such a beautiful autumn day, and I soooooo love riding my bike that my mood never really took a hit. I guess I'm just too dumb to be upset. Of couse the screwdriver I made myself when I got home helped a little, too.

2 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nat!

Sorry you were having a bad day. it happens to all of us sometimes. A couple of times a week for me, at least. Everything seems to be going well for you over there. By the way, do you have a translater in your classes? I don't know if you've mentioned it. It's starting to feel like fall around here. i'm looking forward to Halloween so I can recapture my youth by looking at the kids in costume. I'm hoping someone has a costume party. I'm too broke and unorganized at the moment to plan one myself. Anyway, take care and I try to do a better job of keeping up with your blogger.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

Nicole,

Hah! That's funny!! A translator. Heh heh. No, no translator. In the mommy and me classes, most of the moms speak a little English. Some speak better than others. And with the older kids, no mothers. So they can be a little more challenging. But it is amazing how a little basic Japanese, some international English and charades will get you almost everything you need here. However, trying to explain to the mothers that this up coming week we would be having a Halloween party in each class, and that they should bring the little ones in costumes was a bit challenging. We'll see next week if anybody comes dressed up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home