Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Back to the Simple Life

Today was back to the simple life. No crazy costumes, no Trick-or-Treating, no parades, no pictures. I was able to ride my bike to the early classes again. Just simple, normal everyday stuff. Except for the fact I'm living in friggin Japan, that is! It still blows my mind. The streets are still too narrow for two cars. They tear down buildings at the drop of a hat. I can't read the language. God only knows what all those warning signs along the street say. God and everybody who can read Japanese. It's a bit chilly in my apartment and I don't know what the instructions on the various heating appliances say. Or the DVD or VCR or oven or any of the food in the supermarket. And yet, I just sail along and eat and drink and buy things and work and drive. Kind of amazing when you think about it.

3 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm amazed and I find it all quite fascinating. Mum

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

I'm with ya. Sometimes it all just seems a little too surreal. And I've been here 15 months now! (Still mostly illiterate, still making guesses about almost everything, still impressed that I make it through the day sometimes!!)

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, quite fascinating. Traveling in a foreign country is difficult enough. And how does one put the usual responsibilities of life on hold for a year to do such a thing, especially at age 40 (versus 22, for instance, before said responsibilities have piled up)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home