Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Happiness is planning a trip

...and I am planning two! I found out earlier this month that I don't have any classes at the community center for Tuesday thru Friday the last week of September. I still have my three night classes on Tues, Wed and Thurs, which doesn't exactly leave me a bunch of time to go meandering all over Japan. But I don't care and I've got a plan. I will leave Saturday night, the 24th and take the 7pm Shinkansen (High Speed Train) to Kyoto. I should arrive around 8:45. I have booked myself in at a place within walking distance from the station. They call themselves "Tour Club". It is something between a youth-hostel and an inn. I decided to do the "Dormitory Style Room". I don't really need a room to myself, I can sleep through almost anything. And it is only 2400 Yen per night. I could get a room to myself for 5000, but I decided to go the cheap route. I'll stay in Kyoto Sat, Sun and Mon nights and return to Hamamatsu on Tuesday in time to go to my Sony Class at 7:00. One of the reasons for going so cheap on the accomodations is that the Shinkansen ain't cheap - 8000 yen each way. The other reason is that I also have a week of Community Center duty again the last week in October. And I have to only work 2 night classes. I am going to Nagano for 5 days then. Yippee. I hinted at (in other words outright asked for) an invitation from Tomone and Yuwen. I met then last year when we visited Japan. Tomone (male) was one of the professors that Mark worked with on a project. Yuwen is actually Chinese, and she and Tomone met when they both attended UGA. What this all boils down to is that I have 2 trips planned in the next 2 months and I'm so giddy I can barely stand it. I go singing down the halls, and skipping along sidewalks and smiling and saying "konichiwa" to everyone I pass. I am really starting to frighten the Japanese. Oh well, I don't care...I'm going on a trip, I'm going on a trip!!

4 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great. I'm looking forward to it. I sent you a "Get Fuzzy" Hope it came through. Mum

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your trips sound great! Let me know what the Tour Club is like - I am booked to stay there mid-October. A friend stayed there last year and liked it, so hopefully it will be good.
I'm hoping for some autumn leaves... you should get some on your travels too.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

Hey! I stayed at Tour club when I went to Kyoto at the end of Sept last year, and it was good. Great location! I would highly recommend doing the Johnny Hillwalker walking tour while you're there as well. He is old and wonderful and full of amazing knowledge and takes you places you would never find on your own. Or if you did, you wouldn't understand them. He's great, and it's something like 2000Y but almost a whole day and you get treats along the way, including a VEGGIE treat, as he touts the benefits of a veg lifestyle! If you can't find info (it's definitely in Lonely Planet), let me know and I'll look it up for you.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

Suzy,

Of course! Stay tuned and I will definately let you know how it went.

Natalie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home