Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Friday, September 16, 2005

20th Anniversary

Today is Mark's and my 20th wedding anniversary. Wow, 20 years! Who'd a thunk it? If you had told us that 20 years from that day that we would still be married, but one in Georgia and one in Japan we probably would have been more incredulous over the Georgia bit. So what did I do to celebrate? I spent it at the laundromat being completely perplexed. I had to wash the thick blanket I inherited with the aparto. It has gotten a bit on the chill side here at night, the blanket is too big for my washer and it smells funny. When I got to the laundromat it was desserted, but brightly lit and really clean. First I realized that the machines didn't take money. You had to put money on an electonic card. So I did that...or so I thought. Then I took the card back to machine and put it in the slot. Nothing. So I started punching all the various buttons. Still nothing. So I to the card out and reinserted it. More nothing. Just then a guy came in to do his laundry. So I begged help. He was obviously just your everyday working dude. How do I know this? Well, he had that ruddy complexion you see on working guys, and he was still wearing his work clothes (dead giveaway). So he puts the card in the slot the right way, and realizes there is no money on it. So he takes me back to the card machine and tells me to put money in it. Well, I already put 500 yen in it. The machine wouldn't give me my money back and it would put the money on the card. So Mr. WorkingDude pulls out another 500 yen coin and drops it in the machine before I can stop him. The machine graciously puts 1000 yen on the card and then we go back to the machine and he starts it for me. I try to give Nice Dude the card with the rest of the money on it but he won't accept it. Of course when the washer stopped I needed more help with the dryer because I am a stranger in a strange land (or a ditz in Japan). After he helped me with the dryer I insisted he take the card, and when he wouldn't take it I laid it on the counter and walked away. He agreed to take it then. So that was my exciting night out, what did you do?

2 Comments:

At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left work a little early and went on a bike ride with Karen, Steve, and Dan. After getting home and feeding the animals, I popped open a can of Progresso soup (which looked quite a bit like the dog food I just gave Alex). By the way, our anniversary is actually the 15th but after 20 years (and being half a world apart) one day doesn't make much difference... Mark

 
At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary. Having a clean blanket to celebrate-very nice. Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home