Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Conversation and comforts

Yesterday was rather nice. I had agreed to go to an English Conversation group with one of the students from the Skyland class. She had been pretty helpful to me, so I figured although I get paid to talk English I would do this as a favor to her, and I might meet a few expats there. As were walking up these steep steps in a very narrow stairwell, she says "Oh, it costs 2000 yen ($20), is that okay?" Well, no not really. I am pretty broke and will be for the rest of the month. Another expat comes up behind and tells us it doesn't cost gaigin anything, and we get a free drink out of the deal. Whew! It only lasts a couple of hours and I actually ran into one of my students and someone else I had met. So nice night, eh? Even better than that...I went into the little specialty foods market and found black beans and tortillas. It cost me 238 yen for the can of beans and 258 for 5 tortillas the size of a saucer, but I don't care. Alas, I don't think I will ever find sour cream. And I found Sprite. Haven't had a Sprite, 7up or Sierra Mist in a month. And as I type this I am listening to Morning Edition on NPR over the internet. You can't believe how happy these few things have made me.

1 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

I DO believe how happy those things can make you!! I DO! I remember the utter joy of finding real cheddar cheese in one of the supermarkets in the city an hour away from where I live, the English used bookstore in Hiroshima, Gingerale (Canada Dry no less) in a vending machine... Oh the little things, they can make all the difference in the world...

Your books will be on their way this afternoon.

Sallie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home