Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Monday, July 04, 2005

Why does my food strainer have a hairnet?

Well, I survived my first day all by my little ole self. On Saturday Mr. M. said "I no come tomorrow, be ready for meeting 10:30 Monday". Well, it's (hey I found the apsotrophe over the number 7) a good thing I found being abandoned in a strange country exhilerating and not terrifying. I walked around downtown for hours yesterday. I found both a Hundred Yen Store (ie Dollar Store) and a reasonable market, all in the same place (Za Za City). It's quite a hike from my adorable cubby hole (mile, mile and a half), but it is such a cool walk. First I walk a block to "Act City" this is 50 story sky scraper, with a hotel, shopping, performance theaters, and lots more. It has all these cool, beautifully landscaped covered people movers. Oh, did I mention it's the rainy season? Then you come to the underpasses. These are not your father's underpasses. These are lovely, well lit tunnels that get you around under the traffic and out of the rain. They have big open-to-the-sky areas in the middle with fountains, or scuptures, or monumental flower beds. Too bad this isn't the part of town I will actually be living in. I plan to enjoy it while I can. I had to make two trips to Za Za yesterday, to buy essentials (like a really cute dish with a rabbit design on it) and food. Well, I guess I better get back, so I can be ready for Mr. M. Can you tell I am still walking on air?

2 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good going, girl. It all sounds so interesting and different. Mum

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Delicate Jasmine said...

I remember when I discovered the apostrophe last summer! I wrote an entire post about it. Really, it is the little things that make life so good, isn't it?? That and the fact you're in a whole new world here...
Soak it up, breath deeply and often, and look up!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home