Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Sunday, July 03, 2005

The space bar is about an inch long

Well, I arrived. And I was so exhausted. I did not get a minute of sleep on the plane, even though I took two valium. It was a very long day, up at 5 to be ready to catch shuttle at 7, trip to airport, hour and half in line to check in, 10 minutes to catch plane, 2 hours to Chicago, transfer, 13 hour flight, breeze through customs, hour and half trip to Hamamatsu, 2 hours of being introduced to my hotel room (oh so complicated) unpacking enough to find my pjs and to bed. Only 40 hours. And if you know me at all you know how I love my sleep. Slept until 3 in the morning local time. So, obviously my whole internal clock is screwed up. But it is all worth it! Hamamatsu looks like it is going to be a kick in the pants. And I love my hotel room. Wish I could just live there! The bad news is that I have no internet access there at the hotel. So I am posting this from an internet cafe. $4 an hour. But, I just can not live with out access. Trying to adjust to a Japanese keyboard is an interesting experience. The space bar is only an inch long, and I can not seem to find the apostrophe. Notice I have not typed any contracted words. My hotel is right downtown, so I have been walking the city since about 6 a.m. And everyone I have been in contact with has been very helpful. They seem to take it as a fault that they can not speak English well, rather than be hoity that I do not speak Japanese. Well, I do not think I will be posting any pictures for a while, if I can not find the apostrophe on the keyboard, how am I going to figure out how to upload any photos. Well, just wanted you all to know I was alive, if not kicking yet. And how delighted I am be to here. Really, I am so giddy I have to keep myself from dancing a little jig and upsetting the locals.

P.S. I am a little concerned that my side bar has disappeared. Hopefully it will return when I am back on my own computer.

Here are some photos of this great little hotel I am staying in. Skyland is great, wish I could stay here forever.


2 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natalie, I am so jealous I could....I don't know what!!!!Mum

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger the englishman said...

welcome to japan. i will not contract any words here in sympathy of your plight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home