Natalie Goes to Japan

40 year old very married blonde woman having a midlife crisis who heads to Japan alone to follow her dreams. Be careful what you wish for ... you just may get it.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Why I think I might survive Japan

Got an email from Trev who was nice enough to link my blog to his blog (An Englishman in Osaka) and he was wondering if I had ever been to Japan before. Well, I have, for a whole 10 days last August in Tokyo. Now Tokyo is probably different from the rest of Japan, but we did get around fairly well, even though we couldn't read the language. If you ask me, not being able to read the language is a much bigger deal than not being able to speak it ! But, lo and behold we got everywhere we meant to go with no problem. And we managed not to create any international incidents while we were at it. Trev's query got me to thinking why going to a foreign country might work out for me, when it doesn't always go smoothly for others. Well, you must know that I moved around alot in my life. Never anywhere exotic, just places like Republic, MO and Montrose, CO (complete list to follow diatribe). But, along the line I learned several things, and now wish to impart my great knowledge to you, my loyal readers (and there are just throngs of you waiting for these precious jewels of knowledge.) First, no place is perfect. You gotta find the good in every place. Don't worry the bad will find you all by itself. Second, the world does not revolve around me. I know, I know, I may have led you to believe otherwise, but it doesn't. So, I don't really expect the Japanese or all the expats living there to start chanting and parading upon my arrival. I will have to take care of myself. Third thing that works in my favor is that I think I am genetically predisposed to getting up and resettling elsewhere. My ancestry is absolutely filled with cranky old farts who always were gettin' tired of the ol' homeplace and pulling up stakes. So thats why I think I "might just make it after all" (sung to the end of the Mary Tyler Moore theme).

Here is the list of all the places I have lived.
San Francisco, CA
Menlo Park, CA
Prescott, AZ
Bullhead City, AZ
Republic, MO
Montrose, CO
Fort Collins, CO
Newport News, VA
Winter Park, FL
Athens, GA
New Orleans, LA
Athens, GA
Seattle, WA
Athens, GA
and Dum De Dum..Soon to be Hamamatsu, Japan.

PS I went to 3 different High Schools. Now that's tough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home